Carpet Cleaning Steps for Watery Stains
Important Things to Keep in Mind
- If there’s any solid material, first freeze it with an ice cube and remove as much as possible with a spoon or dull knife.
- Be sure to use a white towel or paper towel to remove stains.
- Start with warm water, but use a cleaner like Mohawk FloorCare Essentials Carpet Spot Remover if that doesn’t work. There are also alternative homemade cleaning solutions listed below.
- BLOT liquid spills from the outside in to prevent spreading the stain (especially big ones). Don’t rub, scrub, or use a brush! It will ruin the carpet fibers.
- If you have an abnormally large or excessive stain, it may only come out with the hot water extraction method done by a cleaning professional.
Steps to Follow
- If you don’t have Mohawk’s Carpet Spot Remover, you can mix together your own solution: ¼ teaspoon of clear dish soap and 1 cup of water. Stir it gently to mix completely.
- Apply the cleaning mixture to a white cloth and gently wipe the stain (don’t rub).
- As you blot, turn the cloth frequently. Try not to get the carpet too wet. You can use your fingertips to work the cleaner to the base of the stain if that helps.
- To rinse the fibers, wet the area with lukewarm water until it’s completely clean.
- If the stain still isn’t completely gone, continue with the extra steps below. If you were successful, you can dry the area by leaving a white towel or paper towel over the carpet and weighing it down. Change towels out until your carpet has dried.
Extra Steps if Stain Remains
- Mix together another solution to help get the stain out: 2 tablespoons of non-bleaching and non-sudsing ammonia with 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Use this cleaning mixture to blot the area like before but only use a white cloth; do not use paper towels.
- After blotting the stain out, you need to neutralize the ammonia in the fibers. Mix together a final solution using ½ cup white vinegar and 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Apply the vinegar solution, blot, and then rinse with water.
- To dry, leave a white towel over the carpet and weigh it down. Change towels out until the carpet has dried.