Keep Your Hardwood Stunning
With the right care, hardwood floors can last for decades, even a lifetime. Regular care and maintenance is important for the longevity of your hardwood. Routine cleaning will keep your hardwood attractive and will remove dirt and debris that can scratch or damage your hardwood. When spills happen, it is important to act quickly to prevent stains or damage. Do not use any products on your hardwood without consulting your manufacturer. Learn more about how to keep your new floors looking and performing great for many years.
How to clean your hardwood
Cleaning your hardwood regularly removes dirt and debris that can lead to scratches and damage, thereby lengthening the life of your flooring. Here is a basic guide for cleaning your hardwood:
- Sweep your floors regularly to remove loose dirt and dust. How often you sweep depends on how much foot traffic your room receives.
- You can dry mop or damp mop your flooring. Make sure any product you use is manufacturer approved. Be careful not to let water pool or stand on your floors.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can cause damage to the wood.
- Place rugs or mats in high-traffic areas to protect reduce the amount of dirt tracked through your house and reduce the impact of wear and tear.
- Clean spills immediately to prevent moisture from seeping into the wood and causing damage and to prevent stains from forming.
- Have your hardwood floors professionally cleaned and refinished every few years to maintain their appearance and durability.
It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning your hardwood, as some products may require specialized cleaning methods or solutions. Additionally, be sure to test any cleaning solution on a small area of the hardwood first to avoid damage.
How to maintain your hardwood
Proper maintenance will ensure your hardwood lasts and will look beautiful for a long time.
- No matter how careful you are, some scratches are inevitable. To fix minor scratches on hardwood, use a wood filler stick or touch-up marker that matches the color of your hardwood floors, and apply it to the affected area until it is filled in.
- For deeper scratches or more serious damages, sand and refinish the affected area..
- Use furniture pads on the bottom of your furniture to prevent scratches or dents.
- Protect your hardwood floors from excessive sunlight, as this can cause the wood to fade or change color over time. Use window treatments such as blinds or curtains to control the amount of sunlight that enters the room.
- Trim your pet's nails regularly to avoid scratches on your hardwood floors.
Take advantage of our free in-home estimate! Schedule an in-store appointment with our one of our flooring specialists, find the products you love, and we’’ send one of our experts to your home for your free in-home estimate. Fill out the form, and a member of our staff will reach out to you as soon as possible. We proudly serve Omaha, Elkhorn, Papillion, Ralston, Bennington, and Bellevue, NE, and surrounding areas.
Fill out the required fields below:
"*" indicates required fields